The inspiration behind my book
Have you ever dreamed of sitting down to have a face-to-face conversation with some of South Africa’s leading figures in the areas of media, politics, business, entrepreneurship, transformation and academia? I did just that, talking to nine exceptional people about their stories, vulnerabilities and successes for my first book, Branding & Marketing YOU.
I’ve been passionate about building brands and marketing throughout my career. Since I first became interested in the subject, I have wanted to write a book on the subject. I have thoroughly researched the topic and have probably read most of the books written about it.
Most books on the subject of personal branding and marketing seem to be either mostly theoretical or, if there are case studies in the books, they feature only celebrity personalities.
While we can learn from people like Oprah, Madonna and Nelson Mandela, I want to make the point that you don’t need to be Bill Gates to build and market a powerful brand. I developed the concept for this book, Branding & Marketing YOU, out of a desire to gain insight into some leading South Africans who have developed highly successful personal brands with solid reputations.
Each person profiled in the book is entrepreneurial and successful in his or her own right as a business professional and has become well-known and respected in their field of operation. They use innovative and powerful ways to build and market their personal brands and are passionate and driven to make a difference inside and outside of their field of operation.
Through my conversations with these nine people, I hope to highlight the importance of personal branding and marketing in today’s business environment and unpack how brands evolve, identifying the components making up a ‘personal’ brand and highlighting how to market it effectively.
I really hope that the book will inspire ordinary South Africans and others – and show that personal branding and marketing is achievable, relevant and can be accomplished in an authentic manner.
Branding & Marketing YOU profiles the following individuals:
- Vuyo Jack, co-founder and CEO of Empowerdex
- Mike Stopforth, social media and Web 2.0 guru
- Monica Singer, CEO of STRATE, the licensed Central Securities Depository (CSD) for the electronic settlement of financial instruments in South Africa
- DJ Fresh, leading radio personality
- Professor Tim Noakes, sports science expert and co-founder of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa
- Ian Ollis MP, Shadow Minister of Labour and political head of the Sandton Constituency for the Democratic Alliance
- Professor Loyiso Nongxa, Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits)
- Tumi Makgabo, independent producer and entrepreneur
- Allon Raiz, founder of Raizcorp, the only unfunded for-profit business incubator model in Africa