Tips to help YOU market your Personal Brand
In my last post I looked at brand-building tips. In this post I look at 5 key ways to market your brand.
Once you’ve developed your personal brand, you need to promote it.These are my top tips to help you market your brand effectively:
- Understand that every time you attend a meeting, answer the phone, introduce yourself or give a presentation, you are marketing your brand. Make it wow every time. Determine the best ways you can communicate the value you deliver to your customers, colleagues and network contacts. As Albert Einstein always said, “Aim not to be a success but to be of value.”
- Increase your visibility today. Remember that if you have low visibility, you have no visibility. Start writing and talking and join committees and associations. It doesn’t matter if you’re an introvert or an extrovert, there are many different tactics you can employ to increase your visibility.
- See every lunchtime as an opportunity to network. Identify all opportunities to expand your network and build relationships. Keith Ferrazzi, business relationship consultant and author of bestselling book Never Eat Alone, says that to build a powerful network you need to be generous. Always ask a network contact “What can I do for you?”
- Marketing is a ‘contact sport’. Remember, the frequency of contact with your customers, colleagues or networking contacts is as important as the quality of your interactions.
- The best way to promote yourself is through word-of-mouth marketing. Help people to ‘sell’ you. Make sure they understand what you stand for and how you deliver value.
Remember branding and marketing yourself is much like branding a product or service. Not only is it an ongoing process, but it is a highly dynamic process. Much like companies call in specialists to assist in achieving their marketing objectives, you need to understand your gaps and call in those equipped to take your brand to the next level. After all, your personal brand is your greatest asset. Look after it; protect it and grow it.