Get out of your personal brand rut
Sometimes we get stuck in a rut, doing the same things we’ve always done and missing out on new opportunities and better results because of it. When that happens, it’s important to recognize it and do something about it.
Here are five ways to turbo-charge your personal brand:
- Take massive action. You need to do something big if you want big results. So focus on a key project or initiative and put all your effort into marketing it and making it a ‘stand out’ project that will showcase your strengths and skills in a way that is distinctive. Discard or delegate the projects that aren’t building towards your goals and centre your attention on one key initiative that will really demonstrate the value you add.
- Identify four or five key people and market your personal brand to them. Think about the top people you want to know about your skills, talents and passion, and find ways to market your personal brand to them. Identify the core aspects you want them to understand about you and be relentless (although not annoying) in communicating those in every interaction.
- Identify one social media channel that suits your goals and your technological abilities and get stuck in. Learn the ropes and research how to get the most use out of it. Execute daily for three months and then measure the results.
- Host a small group discussion in your area of specialisation and invite someone influential to ‘open’ the discussion. This allows you to make the most of this person’s reputation, position yourself as an expert and boost your credibility, all in one go.
- Identify something ‘big’ that you can do for a few people in your network without expecting anything in return. Focus on what you can do for others instead of what they can do for you, and you will build deeper networking relationships.